Medical Campus

Our Campus

The University of Miami Leonard M. Miller School of Medicine, an academic medical center founded in 1952, is proud to serve South Florida, South America and the Caribbean in education, research, patient care and community service. The founders of the Miller School of Medicine were true visionaries. They anticipated the tremendous need for excellent medical care within our community and set into motion a plan for the facility that now has more than 1 million patient encounters annually.

The Leonard M. Miller School of Medicine campus consists of 72-acres within the 153-acre UM/Jackson Memorial Medical Center complex. The medical center includes three University-owned hospitals that make up UHealth – University of Miami Health System: University of Miami Hospital, Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center/UMHC (University of Miami Hospital & Clinics), and Bascom Palmer Eye Institute. Our affiliated hospitals include Jackson Memorial Hospital, Holtz Children’s Hospital, and the Miami VA Healthcare System. Miller School faculty conduct more than 1,600 research projects in basic science and clinical care. Research and sponsored program expenditures totaled $331 million (FY 14). UM ranked 59th of all universities in expenditures of federal funds for research and development (FY 12). More than a dozen UHealth outpatient clinics are located in Miami-Dade, Broward, Palm Beach and Collier counties and construction has started on a new ambulatory facility in Coral Gables; The Lennar Foundation Medical Center will open in 2016.